We want to see your best work, regardless of style, form, subject matter, or genre. We’re especially interested in literary oddities–text-based creations that push boundaries, challenge expectations, and defy easy categorization.
Welcome to the submission system for Shift: A Journal of Literary Oddities.
(If you have any trouble with this site, please click the "Help" link at the bottom of this page or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also call Submittable for assistance: 855.467.8264.)
HOW TO SUBMIT:
- Fill in the title(s) of the work(s) you're submitting. If you're submitting more than one piece, separate the titles with commas.
- We will consider multiple poems, images/art, and short prose works in a single submission.
- Type all cover letter text into the cover letter field with any additional information you'd like to include.
- Use the Add File button to find the file on your computer that you'd like to submit. Select the file and click on the Open button. Your file will then appear in the "file" field.
- Review your information to confirm that it's correct. Click Submit and you're all set!
- You should receive a confirmation via email letting you know that we've received your submission.
ANSWERS TO FAQs:
- We consider prose under 4,000 words; reviews under 500 words; poetry under 75 lines. Oddities may be of any size or scope.
- We consider art and photography, as well.
- Upload only ONE submission at a time (up to 5 poems, images/artworks, and short prose works are considered one submission); please wait until you receive a response to your submission before uploading any more.
- Our current response time is 4-6 weeks. While we wish we could respond with personal feedback for every submission, the volume of submissions received prevents us from offering individual criticism.
- We only consider submissions written in the English language. We, do, however welcome translations of work into English if you own the rights to the original text(s).
- We consider only previously unpublished work except in cases where we solicit you directly. Work that has appeared online for any reason is considered to have been previously published and should not be submitted to Shift.
- Please let us know immediately if one of the pieces you have submitted is accepted elsewhere by adding a note to your submission specifying which pieces are no longer available.
- Contributors to the print journal receive one complimentary copy of the issue in which their work appears.
- Please direct any journal-related questions to email@example.com
Thank you for your interest in Shift: A Journal of Literary Oddities. We look forward to reading your work.